Monday, January 21, 2013

Chandelier

This is a Before & After Post of My Dining Room Chandelier.  Our very first chandelier, it came with the house when we had it built...and supposedly was an UPGRADE.   It was round metal - Bronze - curved and had some small chain hanging from the top to each arm.  That's it.  Here's a picture of it hanging in our Master Bathroom with shades I added.  It even seemed too...
small for the space there...let alone over a Dining Room table!
To give you some perspective here...the window on the left measures 36" wide.  The Chandelier after that one, was one I picked up for $9.00 on Clearance at Lowe's.  I spray painted it Bronze, from a yellow/gold color and it worked.........for a while.  (It was what I could afford at the time, shortly after moving in.)

Then...are you ready?

Another Chandelier.  Full of Crystals and Bling.  


 It just seemed to fade into the background at times...and then hid "pretties" in the background too.




I eventually took the biggest ball of bling at the bottom off.  I didn't like it.  It helped...but NO, NOT enough!

It again...worked for a while.  It just didn't feel right!


So...eventually, even that chandelier went away.

What came next, you ask?

Well, some of you may have noticed something NEW on my Blog Banner...that's why I'm posting about it today, Monday - instead of having my HOME TOUR.  Tomorrow I will be posting my Home Tour.  You won't want to miss it...it's a Mansion!  And it's in Wisconsin!

OK...here's the NEW Chandelier...

5 Lights
Bronze
Alot Bigger
Fits better over the Dining Room Table
And it doesn't obstruct the view as much

This is the photo from the Website where I purchased it - LAMPSUSA.com


Here it is...hanging in my Dining Room
I really LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it...the size is right...the color is right
and
I have an idea that will take it over the top...making it beautiful!!

I bought 5 Animal Print Chandelier Shades, covered in Satin...very reasonably priced on eBAY!



I added those to the chandelier...hmmmmmmmmmmm....

Great idea in the making!

This is what the shades look like lit up!  Pretty...and did I mention I LOVE Animal (Leopard) Print?  Yes, I do!!


I had a thought...
I knew I had some of these "pretties"
in my stash...not enough?  Oh no...
I was still able to order more!!

They arrived so quickly too!


Then some pretty Waverly Trim!!

This one is the same on both sides of the trim...



The Waverly trim above is Scalloped on one side.

I started hot gluing the trim without the scallop to the inside of the shade...making sure it slightly overlapped the white edge of the shade.  I didn't want to be sitting at the table and being able to see that white "edge" of the shade when looking up at the Chandelier.



Then...on the outside, I hot glued the Scalloped trim, the same way...making sure that the spaces in between the scallops covered the shade edge, thus allowing the scallops to hang below the edge of the shade.
After I glued on the "pretties", again with Hot Glue...the pearl trim hung in between the Scallops on the trim.

This is the Pretty  Addition - a 3-Roses with Leaves and a Pearl Dangle Applique..just hot glued on to the top of the scalloped Trim - in between each scallop, so the pearl hangs in between the scallops.




Here's the Finished Shade - see all of the pretty texture in between the Appliques?


Are you Ready?

Here is the Chandelier with all the pretty shades on it.  I had to take the photos without any sun...cloudy days persist.  But...the Dining Room windows face north...so it tends to be a bit darker in there most days.  I left the lights off in these photos because with them on the trim is not so noticeable.  And since I went to all the trouble enhancing these shades, I wanted you to see them!  This certainly cheers up the Dining Room...along with other things I've been busy doing since you saw the Dining Room last (saving that for another post - later - when the project is complete)!






This is the Clip to attach the shade to the bulb...so make sure you select the right kind of bulb so these shades sit properly and don't tip over. Use a torpedo shaped bulb, like the one in the next photo - very rounded...NICE!


Here is the Chandelier with the lights turned on...and these are only 40watt bulbs...ENHANCE bulbs.




I certainly think I found
MY CHANDELIER!!

I'm very pleased with how these shades turned out and how the entire chandelier looks in the room.  I just took my time doing the shades...and in less than 5 hours (with a couple of interruptions in between), I had all 5 of them finished.  I didn't cut the trims until I was ready to hot glue the last bit of the trim, to prevent unraveling.  Then I just glued the edges down...and pressed them together.  (No overlap at all) 

For the Roses, I put down a line of hot glue ON THE BACK OF THE ROSES (from side to side, not quite to the edges, to prevent the glue from oozing out) and making sure I quickly had them exactly where I wanted them, pressed the roses onto the shade.

These hardback shades, covered with satin measured 6"x5"x3".

So, what do you think?  Any great ideas coming to your mind after viewing this?

Have fun creating!!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Jan! Oh, I love your new chandy! And...those shades just make it. Love the trim you've added. Just perfect! Now what else are you doing! :)
    Be a sweetie and thanks for popping in to see me.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan, Thank you for your visit. Your chandelier progress was fun to see.
    The final purchase is beautiful and your shades just look gorgeous. Good job.
    xo, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! What a vision you have for the possible! Thanks so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your new chandy! I will have to visit that lamp site. You did a great job on those shades, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jan its terrific! You did a great job.
    I have been looking for a small pink chandelier for my art room . xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jan, I am so glad you gave me this link because with my google not working, I have trouble visiting unless I go back to all my posts and find my friends. Very frustrating. We also have been painting for 2 days and real behind now.

    However, glad to visit this post and I am just in awe of your new chandy and the redesign. You are incredible with altered art like this and now I want to add more to mine. Love these shades!!! The roses really make them so chic and I love animal print. Gives it a sophisticated look.
    I kept the crystals on mine after Christmas cuz they just looked too good to put away. LOL but now I want to updo the shades a bit. YOu have inspired me my friend.

    Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to what else you are up too.
    Hugs, Celestina Marie

    ReplyDelete