Monday, January 16, 2017

My Snowflake Afghan - 5 Years in the Making

 About 5 years ago, I started crocheting the snowflakes for this Afghan.  I used Loops & Threads Dewdrop Yarn that has mohair and sequins in it.  I thought the sequins would really give the look of a frozen, sparkly snowflake...and it did.  Then I got Bell's Palsy and since my eye couldn't close or blink, I wasn't able to work with mohair yarn, because it would get in my eye.  So, I waited...and waited some more to get started - about a year. 

 That's when my Bell's Palsy was better and I felt I could work on it.  But other things were taking over my life, so it got put away again.  You know, when someone [in my case, my spouse] has Alzheimer's, your life suddenly isn't yours anymore.  So I did what I had to do and what I could do. Then, early in 2015, he up and left.  He's been gone nearly 2 years...and no contact at all.
 But, I have gone on with my life.  Or, maybe I should say, I began my life over and am building a new life.  I've lost 101#, gotten healthy and fit...I've gotten active, taking walks, going to church and getting involved with activities.  I've been doing things that would have stopped me dead in my tracks a year ago.  Things I just couldn't do...or I was afraid to do. [like moving 10-12 Tons of concrete block by myself over the summer!]

But, I'm happy and OK...well, really better than OK.  I'm doing fine.
 And as you can see, I picked up my crochet hook, needle and yarn and finished this beautiful afghan.  I'm so glad it's finally done.  I used to crochet alot and sold the items in my Etsy and Artfire Shops.  Now I plan to only crochet when I want to.


This afghan is done in black Loops & Threads yarn...no sequins for the background.  The snowflakes and border are in White Dewdrop [by Loops & Threads] and it has mohair and sequins.  
The snowflakes are 8" across and the finished afghan, complete with the sequin encrusted border trim measures 68" x 45".  It's quite heavy, so I'm sure as I sip my tea, sitting in my rocking recliner with the pups, watching the real snowflakes fall this winter...I'll be nice and warm. 

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful afghan! I'm sure that it will keep you all warm and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jan! Oh, your afghan is gorgeous! I guess I've not seen any yarn with sequins in it. I'm glad you were able to finish it. Again, I'm so sorry for all you've been through but I'm so happy and proud for you how you've picked up and went on and went on to better! Sending you a hug!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow. This afghan is soooo lovely! Im glad your found yourself again and become healthy and moved on.
    Love you blog by the way.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete