Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Benny's Lump Update...


Benny shook, squirmed, panted and kept wiggling right out of his harness {like he normally does} the entire time we were at the Vet's Office...and the Vet, Dr. Todd is the Best!  If we have to see a Vet with any of the Pups, I'm certainly thankful for Dr. Todd.  He is the kindest and nicest person - genuinely caring about the Pups and us as well.  He always has a smile.   Thankyou Dr. Todd!!
***Sadly, Benny passed away on December 7, 2013***...

The first thing he did with Benny was a mini exam...checking his vitals and everything.  Then, he felt the lump and after a minute or so, told us it was under the skin.  He also mentioned that those kinds of lumps tend NOT to be cancerous.

Dr. Todd Smith
Then, he whisked Benny away to aspirate the lump...to see what kind of cells there were.  The Vet Tech returned Benny to us in the exam room.  All kinds of things go through your mind while you're awaiting the results of tests on a lump - and with a Pup, it's no different than if it were me.

Dr Todd returned to the exam room and told us what he found.  First thing..."Good News!"  Yeah, good news!!  He told us Benny's lump is a Lipoma - a fatty growth.  However, there were some unusual cells in his.  There were inflammatory cells.  He said Benny may have bumped himself in that area and this fatty growth began growing.  He also said that right now, nothing needs to be done to it, except to keep an eye on it.  He explained how these Limpomas can sometimes grow and in a dog Benny's size it could grow to tennis ball size.  Sometime then, surgery could be indicated.  But not now!!

On the drive home, I remembered Benny jumping off my recliner one night and bumping that right hip into a sharp cornered table.  He made nothing of it, so neither did I.  When we got home, I called the Vet's Office and asked if a bump just a week-10 days ago, could have resulted in this Lipoma.  Answer:  Yes.  (They grow rather quickly, I guess.)  That would explain why I didn't notice the lump sooner than just a couple days ago - it wasn't there!!

So...it's great to know that Benny will be fine - with a watchful eye kept on the Lipoma.

Thank you all for the prayers!  I could feel them while we were at the Vet's Office.  I wasn't nervous at all.  I was actually quite calm...even before the "Good News" from the Vet.

5 comments:

  1. Prayers have been answered! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAAAY!!!! Praise God! He knows how much we love our little fur lovies.... I'm sure of it! (Or else He wouldn't have made them so darn precious!) I'm so glad to hear it Ms. Jan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jan, I'm so happy to hear the good news!!!! I remember being in the vet's waiting for test results on a lump with our Golden a few years ago. Unfortunately, the results were not good for us. It was a most difficult time for our family, but she was almost 11 years. It was then that I started to research dog food and have been cooking our homemade recipe since.
    I'm not posting this week but I'm keeping up with a handful of pages. Glad I stopped by.
    xoxo's

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news Jan. Two of our Goldens had these lumps too. It is a concern but ours were also fatty deposits from some sort of bump. Our Vet said when they are benign but grow so large it interfers with walking, then they will remove them. It never got to that thankfully. I can so understand your worry. Thank God that sweet Benny is okay. I hope the inflammation heals quick. Give him a little hug from me.
    One for you too.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete